Wildflower Earth™ Installation
About the Product
One of the key benefits of Wildflower Earth™ is the significantly reduced need for ground preparation when compared with seeding wildflowers or laying turf. This results in substantial savings in labour and machinery costs, as well as minimising soil disturbance and the potential for weed ingress.
Wildflower Earth™ is typically delivered in 1m³ or 2m³ bulk bags that weigh approximately 400kgs or 800kgs per bag. 1m³ bulk bag will cover 40m² and 2m³ will cover 80m² when laid at the recommended depth of 25mm. Larger orders can be supplied using bulker lorries. You can store this product for up to a month in a cool dry dark place and call it off as required.
- Prepare the site by spraying off the area with Glyphosate systemic herbicide (e.g. Roundup). Allow time for the chemical to work (see label but typically one week) and if necessary remove all the dead material.
- Do not rotovate or cultivate the soil surface if possible to ensure you do not stimulate the existing weed seed burden in the soil.
- Lay the Wildflower Earth™ on the soil surface to a depth of 25mm and rake level. Accuracy of depth gives optimum seed and nutrient distribution.
- Once laid a light roll will help to consolidate the seed bed.
- Do not let the material dry out.
- Spot removal of any minor weeds during seedling establishment may be necessary.
- Installation time is best between March to May, and August to September (avoiding the warmest, driest parts of the summer and coldest, wettest part of the winter)
Cutting Cycle: Cut to 25mm height and remove every autumn (a summer cut to a height of 150mm is optional).
Watering: Ensure the area is well watered right through to the soil beneath and kept watered/moist until seedlings have established.
Installation - before growth
In 1st growing season
Images above are of varying age, taken at different times of year, reflect local site/ground conditions and historical maintenance regimes.