Wildflower Earth™ Installation
About the Product
One of the key benefits of Wildflower Earth™ is the significantly reduced need for ground preparation when compared with seeding wildflowers or laying turf. This results in substantial savings in labour and machinery costs, as well as minimising soil disturbance and the potential for weed ingress.
Wildflower Earth™ is typically delivered in 1m³ bulk bags that weigh approximately 400kg per bag. One bulk bag will cover 40m² when laid at a depth of 25mm. Larger orders can be supplied using bulker lorries. You can store this product for up to a month in a cool dry dark place and call it off as required.
- Prepare the site by spraying off the area with Glyphosate systemic herbicide (e.g. Roundup). Allow time for the chemical to work (see label but typically one week) and if necessary remove all the dead material.
- Do not rotovate or cultivate the soil surface if possible to ensure you do not stimulate the existing weed seed burden in the soil.
- Lay the Wildflower Earth™ on the soil surface to a depth of 25mm and rake level. Accuracy of depth gives optimum seed and nutrient distribution.
- Once laid a light roll will help to consolidate the seed bed.
- Water it in and leave to germinate and establish.
- Spot removal of any minor weeds during seedling establishment may be necessary.
- Installation time is from March to October.
Cutting Cycle: Cut to 25mm height and remove every autumn (a summer cut to a height of 150mm is optional).
Watering: Initial watering may be required depending on installation date. Summer laying will require extra irrigation. If there are long periods of dry or windy weather before plant growth begins, watering is advised.
Installation - before growth
In 1st growing season
Images above are of varying age, taken at different times of year, reflect local site/ground conditions and historical maintenance regimes.